VWB/VSF is actively working to mitigate the risks associated with AMR. Our primary focus is on training Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWs).
Veterinarians Without Borders (VWB) has an open volunteer communications position with our Ukraine Emergency Response Program based remotely in Canada.
Job Title: Communications Volunteer
Location: Remote (in Canada) - access to a computer/Internet is mandatory
Duration: 6 months
Start Date: As soon as possible
Training: VWB/VSF will provide training orientation
Eligibility: Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada, and CUAET Program Members
Language: English (essential), Ukrainian (desirable)
Academic Requirements: Post-secondary education, preferably in a related field
Fundraising: VWB/VSF encourages each volunteer to raise funds towards the organization’s operations.
Veterinarians Without Borders/Vétérinaires sans Frontière is an equal opportunity employer and values the diversity of our team.
We are committed to inclusive and equitable employment practices and strive to create a workplace that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion. VWB/VSF Canada welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, including members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, women, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure an equitable hiring process. Thank you for your interest in VWB/VSF Canada.
To provide communications support to VWB’s Ukraine Emergency Response Program.
- Build a useable media database that meets the needs for the program.
- Monitor the available information about the animal initiatives in Ukraine.
- Create informational materials and presentations about the program.
All volunteers are expected to promote gender equality, environmental sustainability, and good governance within their placement responsibilities.
- Interest in animal health, particularly in Ukraine.
- Previous experience with social media.
- Ability to work with presentation software (Keynote, PowerPoint, Canva) and design tools to create informational materials and presentations.
- Ability to gather, analyze and synthesize data from various and multiple sources.
- Commitment to the principles of volunteer cooperation and familiarity with participatory approaches to development, including the promotion of gender equality, good governance, and environmental sustainability.
- Familiarity with veterinary and animal welfare terminology.
About the Project: Ukraine Emergency Response Program
The Ukraine Emergency Response Program started in March 2022 as a strong reaction to the urgent need for food, water, medicine, and veterinary help in Ukraine following the start of the war. For the last six months, VWB has supported about 132,000 animals with food, medicine, and veterinarian care in co-operation with our local partners UPAW, Happy Paw, and Glad Pet.
Currently, VWB's Ukraine Program has several components:
- Animal welfare basic need (providing humanitarian food to shelters and pet owners).
- Preventative health care and treatment (vaccination, parasite treatment, spay/neuter programs).
- Online veterinarian consultations for pet owners.
- Learning, best practices sharing and awareness raising (webinars for pet owners and veterinarians, informational campaigns about spaying/neutering).
About Veterinarians Without Borders
Veterinarians without Borders/Vétérinaires sans frontières (VWB/VSF) works for, and with, communities in need to foster the health of animals, people and the environments that sustain us.
VWB/VSF works nationally and internationally to train animal health workers, increase food security, and improve animal & public health. VWB/VSF provides overseas volunteer placements for veterinarians and other animal & public health professionals.